An adult human being typically has a set of 32 precious teeth. All of us have heard of “will break your teeth”. Why is this threat so effective? Broken teeth not only mar facial looks, but also cause a lot of oral problems. Not only broken teeth but crooked teeth pose many problems.
What is the cause of crooked teeth?
Crooked teeth can be caused by many factors like:
- Genetic, just like the color of hair or eyes.
- Early loss of baby teeth – sometimes some medications or ailments can cause the loss of baby teeth ahead of its time. Permanent teeth might be bigger in size causing crowding or crooked teeth. Such teeth can shape out with age or need teeth alignment or dental braces
- Facial injury- here the teeth can get damaged. This can be rectified by orthodontic treatment, dental braces or teeth alignment
- Poor childhood habits, such as tongue thrusting, thumb sucking and excessive pacifier use- Can be corrected when the growth is complete.
- Sometimes permanent teeth are much larger in size than baby teeth causing crowded, impacted or crooked teeth. Such teeth can be set right after a certain age
What are the ill effects of crooked teeth?
- Gum disease – is the most common side effect of crooked teeth because trapped food particles tend to putrefy and infect the surrounding gum
- Tooth wear– Crowded teeth especially in the lower jaw may cause one or more teeth to protrude. This can rub against the upper teeth and lead to wear and tear of the tooth enamel. Dental braces help in tooth alignment and avoiding unnecessary wear and tear.
- Risks of tooth injuries– Protruding upper teeth can chip or crack in the event of an injury or accident. Orthodontists can help solve the issue with treatment including dental braces
- Chewing difficulties– Chewing becomes a problem when the upper and lower teeth rub together in a way that makes chewing very difficult. Un-chewed food can cause severe digestion problems. Teeth alignment is a very simple solution to this problem.
- Pain in tooth, jaw and gum: Un-chewed food, food particles stuck between crooked teeth may cause bacteria leading to painful infections
- Bad breath– crooked teeth look very bad, and smell even worse. Bad breath is generally caused by oral bacteria unless you’ve just eaten an onion or garlic, which can be difficult to clean from in between crooked teeth.
- Low self-esteem and happiness levels– Studies indicate that a good set of aligned teeth increases the amount you smile, lowers stress and improve cognitive ability. Decreases overall health- Oral infections are a big cause of health issues causing a decline in overall health
Dental alignment is the easiest way to fix crooked teeth.
The fastest way to straighten teeth effectively is by regular orthodontics which may require putting dental braces.
Dental braces types
These “traditional metal braces” are used most commonly in teenagers. These braces have two basic components. These are the metal bracket that is applied to the teeth and the bendable metal wire that is threaded through the brackets in order to apply pressure to the teeth to move them. These are the least expensive and the fastest acting kind of braces.
Ceramic braces are similar in concept to metal braces. The brackets are made out of a ceramic which is the same color and texture as teeth, so very difficult to see. Many orthodontists also use wires that are the color as the brackets so the entire treatment is almost invisible. These braces are more expensive than traditional braces as they are far less noticeable like real teeth; however, the brackets should be regularly cleaned.
Similar to traditional metal and ceramic braces, self-ligating braces also make use of the bracket and wire system. This set of braces use brackets with clips to hold on to the wire instead of a rubber band tie system. These braces retain less food, are less painful than other types of braces and require fewer trips to the orthodontist.
Invisible braces – Invisalign
This is the most common and effective system of invisible braces. They may not suit every patient, but they do have a number of benefits including the ability to completely remove the treatment set to clean the teeth and the braces as and when necessary. These are essentially invisible and very comfortable once the patient gets used to wearing them. Invisalign is usually more expensive than traditional braces. It is a great choice for those who want a more flexible treatment for the standard alignment issues.
Metallic braces are usually used on school-going kids where cosmetic look is of no concern. Whereas invisible braces are especially created keeping cosmetic values in mind.They are “invisible” to the eye and help a teenager or an adult keep up their poise.