Tamil Nadu and especially Chennai have numerous dental clinics and dental hospitals. The city of Chennai is famous for its dental treatments all over the world. Many dental tourists from Middle East, USA, and even Asian countries like Bangladesh fly to Chennai for complex dental procedures. However, even the best dental hospitals in Chennai recognize the fact that people of Tamil Nadu themselves suffer from various dental problems. Is it lack of awareness on oral health or something deeper? Let’s find out.
Oral Health in Tamil Nadu
Various studies had been conducted both by government and private universities in rural and urban areas on oral health and dental problems that plague people here. Added to that, free dental camps at district levels and Chennai in schools reveal the same sordid saga. People have many dental problems and they haven’t visited a dental clinic for that!
Common dental problems among school-going children in Tamil Nadu
- Dental caries (cavities)
- Gum problems (gingivitis)
- Non-eruption of teeth
- Dental Fluorosis
- Bad breath
- Bleeding gums
Among these, most children suffer from dental cavities and dental fluorosis.
Common dental problems among adults in Tamil Nadu
- Dental caries
- Gum diseases
- Bad breath
- Bleeding gums
- Receding gums
- Dental fluorosis
- Tooth loss
- Sensitive teeth
- Burning mouth
While most of these dental problems affect rural populations, a sizable number of city dwellers also experience dental health issues. Those who have prolonged dental problems do consult dental clinics, but most of the others rely on usage of medicinal plants for oral problems.
The usage of fresh or dried plants in the form of pastes applied on the affected region is a common practice; however, these are generally used when the infection becomes severe. This means that these herbs provide only temporary pain relief and the infection resurfaces within no time leading ultimately to tooth extraction or deterioration of the gums.
Worse, there are others who do not seek dental treatments due to lack of time, or considering that dental problems are not serious, or even deciding that they do not have a problem.
Considering the state of dental health awareness, it is important to spread the message of oral hygiene and periodical dental checkups.
Why periodical dental checkups?
Having dental cavities, misalignment of teeth, discolored teeth, bad breath, and missing teeth can have long term repercussions. Since these issues are seen from early childhood, they tend to create future health problems that affect the quality of life. It is certainly not alright when a child has difficult chewing certain foods.
Moreover, dental problems also lead to long lasting psychological impact. Poor self-image, low self-esteem, depression, and anxiety are common among teenagers and adults who have dental problems.
Though you brush your teeth twice a day, there are many crevices in your mouth that the brush cannot reach. And, early signs of dental cavities such as white spots can be easily missed out. That is why it is important to get regular dental checkups in order to avoid complicated dental problems that need costly treatments. Remember, you cannot regenerate your permanent teeth!
Check out these 11 tips to find the best dental hospital in Chennai!
11 tips choose the best dental clinic in Chennai for your dental problems
In our present times, most of our purchases and decisions are made only after a thorough search on internet. When it comes to healthcare, we take extra precautions to avoid going to the wrong place. That is why, except in the case of an emergency, we take time to look for clinics nearby, look for ratings, and search the profiles of doctors.
So, your journey to find a dental clinic starts online with searches like “dental clinic near me,” or “Dental clinic in Chennai.” No matter what you find, final decisions are influenced by user reviews, the brand name of the dental clinic, and opinions of friends and family. So far so good; but you may need some more knowledge to choose the best dental clinic for your condition.
- Choose a dental clinic that has specialist oral surgeons, gum specialists, orthodontists, periodontists and dental hygienists.
- Opt for a dental clinic with well trained support staff
- Multi-specialty dental clinics are better for the needs of children, senior citizens, and those looking for cosmetic dental corrections
- If you need to undergo a complex dental procedure, it is better to choose a facility that can conduct dental surgeries under general anesthesia
- For those with other medical conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, osteoporosis, and others, go to a dental hospital that is attached to a multispecialty hospital. This will allow doctors to asses all of your conditions and any emergency can be attended to
- Do some research regarding the preparedness of a dental clinic for dental emergencies
- For pediatric dental problems, it is better to opt for a dental clinic that has child-friendly ambience as they can get nervous about dental procedures
- Enquire if the dental clinic has wheelchair facilities for older adults
- Look for the technology used in the dental clinics. There are many latest technological interventions that have come up in dentistry. These allow you to get the best possible results without losing your teeth. Technologies like microscopic dentistry, laser dentistry, digital dentistry, and CAD/CAM enable dentists to give precision treatments.
- Look for the services provided in the dental clinic. A dental clinic that offers numerous services is more likely to have better facilities and better dental equipment
- Know about sterilization. Decontamination is one of the major aspects of keeping a dental clinic disease-free. Decontaminating dental chairs, dental equipment, and dental supplies from microbial organisms prevents many infections