Now the idea of getting braces is more acceptable because of invisible braces.Conventional braces use brackets connected by wires to achieve desired movement of teeth. These braces are metal based and are visible when you smile or talk making your look unaesthetic.Invisible braces are an extraordinary option for patients who need a straighter grin however would prefer not to wear conventional props. Unlike metal braces, invisible braces are far less noticeable. These braces are helpful in patients with aesthetic concern.
Leave the dread of wearing old traditional braces and lift your self-esteem by getting your teeth fixed by wearing undetectable braces. Quicker and precise outcomes are achieved in suitablecases for clear aligners. Consult our team of orthodontists and know which braces fit for you well and get an ideal grin that you always longed for.
Invisible braces are of two types: a) clear aligners b) lingual braces.
What are clear aligners?
Clear aligners are transparent custom made dental braces made of plastic material.They are fabricated to fit each person’s mouth. Similar to contact lens to your eyes, clear aligners is to your teeth. These are the least visible orthodontic treatment available. The aligners cannot be seen in photographs or from a far.These braces are clear and blend in more with the natural color of the teeth.
How do clear aligners work?
Clear aligners are a series of tight fitting custom fit braces that slip over the teeth. These are removable appliances and they have to be worn for at least 20-22 hours a day. A series of clear aligners are given to the patient each one worn for a specific period of time until the desired movement is achieved.
Clear aligners are made based on the digital models made from the impressions of the teeth. It is based on series of gradual tooth movement to achieve desired tooth position. 3-D computer imaging technology is used to plan and map your complete orthodontic treatment. Clear aligners have to be replaced with a new set every two to three weeks based on the planned treatment. Your teeth are progressively moved into place by the series of customized clear aligners. Malocclusions like mild to moderate crowded teeth, open bite, deep bite, cross bite can be corrected by using clear aligners. Invisalign, Clear path are some of the brands of clear aligners.
Advantages of clear aligners:
- Highly esthetic orthodontic treatment- wearing clear aligners makes people appealing in public and it can make you less self-conscious and enhance your confidence.
- Clear aligners are less irritable to the tissues like gums and cheeks and are minimally invasive as they do not use wires and brackets for treatment and so no fear of breaking or poking of wires and brackets.
- As these can be removed during eating or brushing, they are more comfortable and easier to clean. Thus you can maintain a better oral health with clear aligners.
- No food constraints as clear alignerscan be removed during eating.
- No chances of staining or discoloration of teeth.
- As the whole procedure is digitized and accurate, treatment outcome is precise and faster.
Disadvantages of clear aligners:
- It is more expensive treatment when compared to traditional braces. Also, replacement charges have to be borne by the patient if a set of aligners is lost or damaged during the treatment course.
- Complex tooth movements cannot be achieved with the use of clear aligners. One has to go for conventional technique of brackets and wires to achieve optimal results for severe cases of malocclusion.
- Since clear aligners are removable patient motivation to wear braces for advised time period is important to achieve best treatment outcome.
What are lingual braces?
Lingual braces as invisible ones are also esthetic. They have similar components as traditional braces but attached to the inners surface of the teeth, hence making them unnoticeable from outer view. They are fixed appliances, work similar to conventional braces and can correct all types of malocclusion problems. Though it is fixed on the inner side, not much interference is observed while eating.
Advantages of lingual braces:
- As they are fixed to the inner surfaces of teeth, they serve the purpose of cosmetic concerns in social or professional situations.
- They can correct complex malocclusion cases.
- Any discoloration or staining of teeth will be seen only on the back of the teeth leaving front surfaces undamaged.
- They can be customized to each patient to fit perfectly.
Disadvantages of lingual braces:
- Initial speech difficulties may be encountered by the patients like lisping sound when tongue tries to contact the back of the teeth.
- Cost is little higher compared to traditional metal braces as lingual braces are technique sensitive having only little room for orthodontists to work.
- Extended chair side time as it takes longer to place the braces on lingual side.
Some sort of discomfort may be experienced by the patient with braces on lingual side initially like soreness on the tongue or difficulty while eating sticky, hard or crunchy foods.