Single Visit RCT
Success of endodontic treatment depends on complete removal of infected tissue inside the tooth. This may require multiple visits to ensure complete disinfection which consumes lot of time to reopen the cavity each time and may herald cross contamination during these visits. With continuously evolving newer technology in the field of endodontics, multiple visit root canal treatment has been transformed into single visit endodontics sparing time and money for both the patient and the dentist. Single visit endodontics suggests that cleaning, shaping, disinfection and filling of root canals are all done at the same appointment.
Is single visit root canal treatment advisable in all cases?
Not all cases favor single visit root canal therapy. However, in most of the cases it can replace multiple visits. Here are the conditions where single visit root canal can be performed whenever possible.
- Uncomplicated vital teeth where only superficial infection is present
- Physically and mentally disabled patients who cannot endure multiple visits
- Patients undergoing intentional root canal therapy for a full mouth rehabilitation
- Fractured front teeth where immediate prosthetic restoration is required for esthetic purpose
What are the contra indications for single visit root canal?
- In case of high infection levels may it be long standing or acute infection single visit root canal is not advised.
- In patients who cannot open their mouth for long time (patients suffering from temporomandibular joint disorders)
- Teeth with abnormal tooth structure or anomalies in canal system
What are the advantages & limitations of single visit RCT?
- As patients don’t need to visit often for single visit root canal, they are more likely to undergo root canal to retain their natural teeth. This is a major setback in multiple visit therapy wherein the patients often feel humdrum to visit the dental office.
- Patients do experience less pain and discomfort in single visit compared to pain endured during each visit in multi visit root canal.
- Another enticing factor of one visit root canal is administration of immediate temporary prosthetic crown to patients concerned about esthetics.
- No risks of mid treatment flare ups in single visit root canal whereas plausibility of cross contamination and flare ups in between the visits in multiple visit endodontics cannot be convincingly refuted.
- Postoperative pain and infection are always questionable. This is a major limitation of single visit endodontics as it becomes difficult to remove the entire filling and treat again.
Though single visit endodontics has become a reliable procedure with a reasonable outcome and proved to be beneficial to patients and dentists in many ways, it cannot completely replace multiple visit endodontics due to some of its limiting factors.
After comprehensive examination of patient’s oral cavity, our team of dentists will look into the fitting factors and decide to provide treatment in single or multiple visits by strictly adhering to standard endodontic principles.
Endodontic Infrastructure at Apollo Dental
At Apollo Dental, we are equipped with all advanced endodontic infrastructure to achieve maximum outcome in minimum visits. Our well trained team of dental specialistshas the expertise in practicing all innovative techniques to achieve optimal result in single visit without deviating from the objective of complete disinfection and sealing of root canal system. Our infrastructure for endodontics includes the following:
- Enhanced imaging techniques like digital radiography (RVG) for detailed viewing of the image. It also keeps digital recording of the images thereby avoiding repeated exposures.
- Advanced X-smart ProTaper rotary equipment and electronic hand pieces for increased efficacy in cleaning and shaping the canals.
- LASER assisted root canal therapy for achieving complete disinfection which increases our success rate.
- Modern electronic apex locators to detect apical foramen precisely, thus avoiding over and under extension of apical sealing of root canals.
- Endodontic microscope for increased visualization of area of interest which helps in detecting minute curvatures & fractures and identifying narrow canals thereby improving clinical outcome.
- Usage of advanced technology Cone Beam Computed Tomography (CBCT) wherever needed for assessing the anatomical portions of the tooth in a three dimensional view& sectional analysis to accomplish complete success of root canal procedure.